I have finally completed my stepdaughter's Tiger socks! I think she's going to love them. They are a little tight on me and don't quite fit my length, so they should be perfect for her! She wears a 6 1/2 and I wear an 8. I'm very happy with the striping on these socks. They look grrrrreat! (couldn't resist) I've had some issues with pooling on the pair for my dad. I only had major pooling on one of these socks though. The sock on the right has a big black section on one side of the gusset and a white section on the other side. I'm not worried about it though...it's the gusset, not the top of the foot! Even though I was good about starting at the same point in the strip sequence for the second sock, I only got a tiny bit of pooling of the black on the instep. The gusset striped beautifully! The mysteries of sock yarn. Here are the pics - a left and right view:
I tried casting on three times last night for my dad's pair. My size one dpns are busy at the moment, so I was using size 2 each time. The first time was with 72 stitches across 3x1 ribbing. Big blotchy black spots. Ick. I ripped back after 1/2 inch. The second time was with 68 inches across 2x2 ribbing. Still ick. I still had big black blotches on one side and white and yellow blotches on the other. So I tried again. I tried to be clever and just start with the new ball of yarn. I had plenty left over from the first ball, but I thought using the new yarn might work! (It says on the Opal website that every ball will give slightly different results, so it was worth a shot.) After 1/2 an inch, I still had black on one side and white on the other. I gave up and decided I'd just wait until my size one needles are free to try it with those. If the yarn won't stripe on those, I'm giving up and getting some nice solid gray/blue yarn to make a pair. Ugh!