I know that many knitters don't like summer projects....because summer yarn isn't as soft and squishy as wool or they aren't inspired by summer designs, but I enjoyed knitting a summer top and am working on a design for another. Towards the end of summer, I'm sure I'll be jumping into Christmas knitting, but for now, all knitting is for me! (mostly, anyway) I just finished this top:
Even with fabulous light, the color is still a little off. It isn't quite this yellow....it's a cross between granny smith and golden delicious apples. (I have lamented more than once on how difficult this color is to nail down...I promise this is the last time!)
Close-up of the picot edging...which should really be blocked. I was just to excited to wear it!
Close-up of the lace detail. See? Look above...look below. Different colors! The lace detail pic is closer to the real thing, but it is still a little washed out. (Okay...so this is the last, last time.)
- Pattern - Thorn & Thistle Tank Top from Summer 2006 Interweave Knits by Joan Forgione.
- Yarn - Jaeger Trinity - 40% silk, 35% cotton, 25% polymide. Color - Zest. Purchased at Webs for a great price!
- Needles - Size 5 circulars - Knit flat.
- Gauge - 5 st/in in p1,K4 beaded rib.
- Cast On - March 26, 2007
- Finished - May 15, 2007
- Thoughts - The pattern was perfect! I didn't find a single error and didn't change a stitch (well, you know...except for that teeny error in shaping on the front, but I did get all the decreases in...just on different rows from where they were supposed to happen!). Crocheting the edging around the armholes and the neck was a breeze. I crocheted long before I ever learned to knit. I really like how the single crochet finishes the armholes nicely.
Skeins Her Way is having a blog contest and is giving away a copy of a pattern she designed for Blue Sky Alpacas along with some yarn to knit it with. I happened to stumble across her blog while reading Woolly Interlude, a recent addition to my bloglines! If you choose to join in, be sure to mention you found the contest through me and I'll get an extra entry! To enter, you have to post about your summer knitting goals. Sounds like a worthy blog entry and fits right in to the rest of this post so....my goals are:
- Finish my mom's second Mother's Day sock (see Woolly? You aren't the only one!)
- Design my own tank top and finish it before our vacation - obviously, so I can wear it on vacation! I'll be using Elann's Esprit in a wonderful color. (see the last picture)
- Finish my Marian socks.
- Start and finish a pair of socks in a month at least once this summer so I can post at Socktopia!
- Make my stepdaughter a pair of socks for her end of July birthday. (maybe I can combine this with the above goal) This entails trying to find Opal's Zebra yarn, which is now proving as elusive as the Tiger yarn was last year! Argh.
- Finish my sleeveless cardigan that I started last summer.
I think that's enough. Oh...I might squeeze in knitting the cute Ogee Lace Skirt from the current IK. Wouldn't it make a great wrap skirt around a black slipdress? And wouldn't that be a perfect vacation outfit? Um...let's add it to the list.
So, what do you have planned for summer knitting?